[Vision2020] FW: Re: Getting Tough on Truancy

Dan Carscallen areaman at moscow.com
Sat Jul 28 09:42:30 PDT 2007

Tom posted the article, and this part with the quote from Moscow Jr.
High Assistant Principal caught my eye:

"if the [truancy] issue can't be resolved, a student will appear in
court. If found guilty, the student will be placed on probation through
Latah County Youth Services, which could lead to wake-up calls and rides
to school from a probation officer - or possibly getting tagged with an
electronic monitoring device.

Moscow Junior High School Assistant Principal Kevin Hill said this can
help families because students can be "good-sized" by the time they
reach junior high and they need to get up and get ready by themselves.

"Parents can't force them to," he said."

Now, maybe I grew up in a unique situation, but my parents didn't have a
hard time getting me to get myself up and ready for school.  I haven't
had much problem "forcing" my kids to do so, either.  It's not that
freakin' hard to get up in the morning.

What gets me about articles like this is that they somehow make me feel
like my family is the exception, while those who have difficulty with
their children are the norm.  I just don't understand how things can
become so difficult and get out of hand.  Of course, everything's not
all sweetness and light, but my kids know who's in charge.

Then again, I've only been a parent for 12 years.

DC