[Vision2020] Firearms - Dangerous or Useful?

Dan Carscallen areaman at moscow.com
Sat Jul 28 09:42:25 PDT 2007

Joe, you say:

". . . my family and I can be as responsible about gun use as possible
but if my son goes over to a friend's house and the friend's father
happens to keep loaded guns under his bed, then in spite of my care my
son is still at risk. And this is no abstract example! Thankfully, my
son has been taught
never to pick up a gun without supervision and always to treat a gun as
if it were loaded. What his friends are taught might be another matter."

I'm on the other side of that equation.  My kids, having spent time
around firearms, know to treat every one as if it is loaded.  I worry
about the kids they bring over who *don't* have the experience to know
how to react to them.  I believe there are lapses from both groups
(owners and non-owners) regarding instruction in firearm safety.  Think
what you will about the NRA, but I believe they have always promoted
educating kids in the safe handling of firearms.

Next, you say:
"Second, consider Hamilton. How is it that a man with his legal and
psychological background can gain access to an automatic rifle and
armor-piercing bullets? Certainly part of the problem is that existing
laws and legal judgments were not carried out. But I think that easy
access to these items has got to be part of the problem, as well."

I know it's arguing semantics, but I thought I read that Hamilton didn't
have any full-automatic weapons.  Not that it mattered.

Regarding his mental status, I have a difficult time limiting someone's
rights due to their alleged psychological background.  I can't even put
into words what I think about it, since I agree that some people
probably shouldn't be allowed to possess firearms, but I'm not sure who
should have that say.  It's a sticky wicket, to say the least