[Vision2020] Firearms - Dangerous or Useful?

Joe Campbell joekc at adelphia.net
Sat Jul 28 09:05:14 PDT 2007

Dan,

I agree that “Perception is a BIG factor” in this and any other debate.

I also agree that gun control is a difficult subject to debate since there are lots of facts and
statistics in support of each side. I guess I thought that Mike Finkbiner’s post
oversimplified the debate and made it seem like the statistics clearly supported one side
against the other. I wanted to point out that the particular statistics he cited did not
support either side.

I don’t have a problem with the fact that some folks, who know how to handle firearms
and know about gun safety, collect and use guns. My wife was born in Idaho, as were
both of her parents. My father-in-law is a retired Colonel in the Air National Guard. He
has plenty of firearms and I wouldn’t dream of taking any of them away. I would say the
same about you and Mike Finkbiner and many others who support gun rights.

Unfortunately, not everyone is as intelligent and responsible as you folks. That is why I
worry about a policy that suggests easy and unrestricted access to firearms.

Here are two examples that might convey my concern. First, my family and I can be as
responsible about gun use as possible but if my son goes over to a friend’s house and the
friend’s father happens to keep loaded guns under his bed, then in spite of my care my
son is still at risk. And this is no abstract example! Thankfully, my son has been taught
never to pick up a gun without supervision and always to treat a gun as if it were loaded.
What his friends are taught might be another matter.

Second, consider Hamilton. How is it that a man with his legal and psychological
background can gain access to an automatic rifle and armor-piercing bullets? Certainly
part of the problem is that existing laws and legal judgments were not carried out. But I
think that easy access to these items has got to be part of the problem, as well.

Best, Joe