[Vision2020] It takes all of us

Tom Ivie the_ivies3 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 12 10:16:11 PDT 2007

It takes everyone to make Moscow a better place to live.  Working together, residents, neighborhoods, government, schools,   churches, businesses, clubs, and organizations can accomplish much more than   they can when they work separately.  Different groups have different   resources and skills, as well as different limitations.  If we all have   a common objective of improving our community, we can find ways to   accomplish this faster and more effectively when we work together.
What improvements are needed?  What can we do?  What should we do? What can YOU do?
Here are some ideas to start with.  Together, we can make Moscow even greater.
Safety and Security
Fire - Moscow's fire dept is manned by volunteers.    If you are able, you should consider joining the fire department.    Our fire dept has always been there for us, saving many lives and   preventing the destruction of homes and properties.  These volunteers   deserve our thanks, and they need our support.
-Keep your street clear and clean.  Don't put your leaves on the street.   Sweep the street in front of your home or business to keep it free from sand   or leaves.
-Don't take chances, if something doesn't look or feel right -call the police and let them check it out.
Parks, Recreation, and Athletics
If Moscow's children and young adults have positive activities to be   involved with, they will be much less likely to become involved with drugs   or criminal activity.  The more positive choices and experiences we can   provide our youth, the better.  Of course, recreation and athletics are   not just for kids!  Adults and seniors need opportunities for physical   fitness and recreation too!
-Let's add more parks and paths
Education
We need to support our schools. Our schools provide more   than just academic instruction.  They provide buildings, playgrounds,   and fields that everyone can use and benefit from.
-An Analysis of National Data by the    Department of Health and Human Services found that students who spend no    time in extracurricular activities are 57 percent more likely to have    dropped out of school by the time they would have been high school    seniors; 49 percent more likely to have used drugs; 37 percent more    likely to have become teen parents; 35 percent more likely to have    smoked cigarettes; and 27 percent more likely to have been arrested than    those who spend one to four hours per week in extracurricular    activities.
Environment
What   can we do, and should we do to keep our air, water, and land clean?
Aesthetics
Keep Moscow Beautiful!  Help to make it better.  What can we   do to fix up our streets, public properties, and private properties?    As we know, you can fix up your own property all you want, but if you have a   rose among thorns, your property will never be valuable.

Tom & Liz Ivie