[Vision2020] "Murder" rate in Moscow

Don Coombs mushroom at moscow.com
Sat Jul 7 17:20:11 PDT 2007

Tom Hansen wrote:
> In my opinion the murder rate per 100,000 population is truly irrelevant.
> The murder rate should be analyzed on a per-year basis.  To me that would be
> considerably more significant.

I appreciate the comments from others about the
published "murder" rate.

I don't think Moscow has suddenly become a bad place to
live, but neither do I think murder rates are
irrelevant. They are rates, and I assumed everyone
would assume they were calculated on a per-year basis.
I'm pretty sure that's what the Daily News attempted,
and went ahead on the assumption there would be no
incidents in the next six months.

I'm good with that.

Please remember, though, that all murders are killings,
but not all killings are murders. We depend on the
judicial system to determine if a killing is murder.

Don Coombs