[Vision2020] "Murder" rate in Moscow

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 00:29:20 PDT 2007

On 7/7/07, Don Coombs <mushroom at moscow.com> wrote:

> Please remember, though, that all murders are killings,
> but not all killings are murders. We depend on the
> judicial system to determine if a killing is murder.
>
> Don Coombs

So the "alleged" (what a difference this word makes) murders in Troy, by
Delling, and in or near Genesee, should not technically be counted yet in an
estimate of Latah County's 2007 murder rate, given the judicial system has
not ruled on these cases.  But given that Hamilton will never stand trial,
and the facts of the case on his commission of those crimes appear solid,
can we call the three homicides' victims (not counting his suicide) of
"murder?"  It sure seems so, though the judicial system has not ruled on
this issue, or have they?

I wonder if murder rates only include first and second degree murder?  What
about voluntary manslaughter?  It seems that involuntary manslaughter would
not be included, nor homicide in self defense.

Ted Moffett