[Vision2020] Human Induced Global Warming Skeptics Keep Up The Heat!

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 5 19:15:02 PDT 2007

Ok, a couple of things.  First, I haven't read any of the documents on
the site.  Second, I don't know if you are lumping me in with the "human
induced global warming skeptics", but I would describe myself as a
"global warming will slap your sister, cause your hair to fall out, and
spit in your chicken soup" type of skeptic.  I think the alarmist aspect
of this is coloring the debate too much.  So, do humans help induce
global warming?  Yes.  I'm breathing out CO2 as we speak.  Are we
dumping an amazing amount of pollution of all types, CO2 included, into
the air?  Yes.  Should we be writing our wills?  No.  At least, not yet.

As I've said before, you shouldn't be buying a Hummer tomorrow not
because we're all going to fry in the heat, but because they output
pollution into the air that is affecting people's health today, because
the oil is going to run out sooner rather than later and dump the
economy on it's ass, and because we have to prop up unstable governments
like Iraq.  Oh, and Canada.

There appear to be processes in place to scrub the CO2 out of the air
once we stop putting so much of it up there.  That will probably follow
the collapse of the free world instead of the invention of a popular
clean energy source, but it will happen.  I'm sure that we will add our
considerable ingenuity to this problem and actually make some progress
on it as soon as Washington, DC is under water.

As for this being a "free market" libertarian nightmare, I can see
that.  I think "free market" is analogous to "let me rob you blind" a
lot of the time.  I like their stance on personal liberties, but I think
they need to take a few more economics classes.  Or just read the paper
or watch advertisements on TV a little more.

You can't deny that politics is influencing the global warming debate on
all sides.  That, in my opinion, is a direct consequence of the alarmist
aspect of the topic.  Granted, if it really is as bad as they say, we
need to get started on the solutions now.  However, I don't know that we
know that it's all that bad.  It's a complicated topic, with too many
variables to model easily.  Sure, the glaciers are melting.  How much of
that has to do with the fact that we are coming out of an ice age?  How
much effect does a few decades of higher CO2 levels have?  How much does
the extra moisture in the air affect things?  How many processes do we
have yet to discover that help or hinder global warming?  It could very
well be as bad as they say, but it's a hard decision to make to
radically change our quality of life when it may not be needed in the
end.  If it was an asteroid on collision with the Earth, then you'd know
it was a problem that had to be fixed now.

Paul