[Vision2020] iraq war protest jan 27

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Fri Jan 26 12:40:25 PST 2007

You're no doubt referring to traveling "evangelist" Reverend Jed.  I was on
the receiving end of one of his more nasty invectives in college, and I was
already a Christian.  Turns out that he hated me anyway, and he'll have to
answer for his "in the name of Jesus" vitriol, not the kind, thoughtful
ministers who also worked on campus.

His behavior was clearly vile and undoubtedly turned off a lot of people --
folks who might well have given Christianity some thought if they hadn't
been verbally bludgeoned by one of its followers.  It's important that
people who represent a cause don't behave in such a way that they alienate
people who might otherwise show interest in and respect for their views.
Jed's screaming fits sours everyone he comes across -- but is marching to
the recruiting office (and I don't think it's still in the mall) equally
offensive?

I don't know.  I'm sympathetic to the argument that it's the war, not the
military, we're opposed to, and yet war is fought by those very people or
their proxies.  I'm honestly not sure where I land on this one, but I don't
think that those involved in planning the march have within themselves the
kind of blithe disregard, much less hatred, that those effigy-hanging,
flag-burning, obscenity-screaming "anti-war" protesters of years past.
They're the ones whose actions are more rightly compared with the incendiary
vipers like Jed, and who make it much more difficult to decide what the best
thing here is.

keely