[Vision2020] Girl's Parents, Stepfather Deploy to Iraq

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Thu Jan 25 20:24:27 PST 2007

>From today's (January 25, 2007) Daily Roundup edition of the Army Times -

Girl's parents, stepfather deploy to Iraq

The Associated Press

FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. - They have all left 9-year-old Breanna Bodden now -
mother, father, stepfather - to fight in Iraq.

Breanna's stepfather, Fort Bragg soldier Ted Hagler, left in July. Her
mother, Army reservist Rebecca Hagler, headed overseas Oct. 1. Her father,
Marine Capt. Henry Bodden, shipped out Wednesday. Breanna has been left with
a family friend, Deborah Clark.

Clark lives in the Anderson Creek community, where children in the
neighborhood call her grandma. She started the Anderson Creek Girls Club, a
place for lonely children.

Clark and Breanna's mother are best friends. So everyone agreed that Clark
would be the best choice to care for Breanna - only no one said it would be
easy.

Clark has had to change her own life - to play mother again after more than
20 years. She now finds herself standing up for Breanna at school. She takes
her to the doctor and to soccer games and wherever else a 9-year-old needs
to go.

"I'm trying to give her the life I gave my own children," Clark said.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

"If not us, who?
If not now, when?"

- Unknown