[Vision2020] Why should everyone pay for MSD?

heirdoug at netscape.net heirdoug at netscape.net
Thu Jan 25 19:41:14 PST 2007

Wayne,

I agree with you about the quality of individuals who choose to teach.
Sometimes a college students starts out with aspirations to be a
biologist or another science but ends up going into teaching because
they can't cut the mustard. Others start out wanting to be teachers
because they have a general nurturing character in their life. These
later teachers make fine friends to the student but have a hard time
with getting the students to really challenge their mind.

My wife finished with a teaching degree and she got a lot out of her
"making a bulletin board" class. She never was taught how to teach
reading and the enjoyment of reading a book for pleasure at all but she
knows how to make a border around a bulletin board. She has noticed in
public and private schools that very few kids graduate with a love of
books. They got great grades but you never see them sit down and inhale
a book for pleasure.

lemeno, Doug!

There is another problem which many do not like to speak about. I will,
but
not meaning to give offense to any particular individual. That problem
is
the quality of students who choose to be teachers and the quality of
teacher
education.