[Vision2020] DoDEA to Discontinue Remote Hme School Program

Tom Hansen idahotom at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 24 11:31:59 PST 2007

>From the American Forces Press Service -

WASHINGTON, Jan. 24, 2007 - The Department of Defense Education Activity
will discontinue its Remote Home School Program beginning in school year
2007-2008, DoDEA officials announced today.

"We understand this unique program is valued by our families," said Joseph
D. Tafoya, DoDEA director. "Unfortunately, with the funding allocation and
grants expiring for this program at the end of school year 2006-2007, we
will have to discontinue the Remote Location Home Schooling Program."

DoDEA plans, directs, coordinates and manages the education programs for
Defense Department family members who would otherwise not have access to a
high-quality public education. Although operating a home-schooling program
is outside of its directed mission, officials said, DoDEA has administered
the Remote Home School Program since school year 2001-2002, when it received
the first in a series of unsolicited allocations and grants to support the
program.

DoDEA cannot continue administering the program with the funding
authorizations and grants expiring, and by law, DoDEA is not permitted to
lobby for funds to continue operating the program, officials explained.

"We truly regret the disruption this may cause students and families,"
Tafoya said. "We do not take this decision lightly; it is the result of
careful analysis of the needs of our directed mission."

Officials said DoDEA will help students and families in any way possible in
transitioning from the home-schooling program. Based on their home location,
students and families may choose to enroll in a local DoDEA-administered
school or public school. They may also choose to attend a private school or
to participate in a home-schooling program of their choice at their own
expense.

Seeya round town, Moscow.