[Vision2020] DoDEA to Discontinue Remote Hme School Program

Chasuk chasuk at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 12:06:35 PST 2007

On 1/24/07, Tom Hansen <idahotom at hotmail.com> wrote:

> >From the American Forces Press Service -

> WASHINGTON, Jan. 24, 2007 - The Department of Defense Education Activity
> will discontinue its Remote Home School Program beginning in school year
> 2007-2008, DoDEA officials announced today.

This is interesting.  I homeschooled my own daughters for two years,
so I am a proponent of homeschooling (in most, but not all,
situations).  Financial assistance would have been nice, but I still
managed to cope without it.

In most places where it is possible to bring dependent children,
educating them "on the economy" is possible, even desirable.  I sent
my children to English schools when stationed in England, and Korean
schools when stationed in South Korea.  I don't think either of my
daughters would trade the experience for anything.  The Korean
experience influenced them so much that my youngest is a Korean major
at university, and my eldest lives in Korea.

Still, it is nice to see that the DoDEA was forward thinking enough to
provide the homeschooling opportunity, and a shame that the program is
now being terminated.