[Vision2020] The Agnostic May be Right

nickgier at adelphia.net nickgier at adelphia.net
Wed Jan 10 13:44:44 PST 2007

Hi Kerry,

The agnostic may be correct.  (See Kerry's story below.) I was once quite taken by the accounts of near death experiences, that is, until brain scientists reminded us that the dark tunnel and the bright light at the end were tell-tale signs of the brain shutting down, in this case the occipital lobes.

But they still can't explain the fact that some of the people can give a detailed description of the people and instruments in the room even though they were unconscious and almost dead.

I have written a paper "Last Judgment as Self Judgment" based on another common theme in these accounts.  The Great Being of Light is embracing and non-judgmental, and then there is a life review in which we have a chance to embrace both our good and bad deeds.  You are read it at www.class.uidaho.edu/ngier/afterlife.htm.

This is exactly what happens in the "Tibetan Book of the Dead."  Most Tibetans freak out when the 49 wrathful deities come at them, and even though the attendant Lama tells them that they are simply projections of their own evil deeds.  The failed spiritual pilgrim falls back into the world, views his new parents copulating, and confirming Freud, the males already love their mothers and hate their fathers!  And I suppose, although nothing is said, that women are already experiencing penis envy!

I don't believe in reincarnation, so after we have fully fessed up to of our actions (the afterlife situation, just as in Sartre's "No Exit," will allow for no self deception), then we reach Nirvana.  And as Bugs Bunny says: "That's All Folks!"

Nick Gier

The difference between an atheist and an agnostic:

 "I can well imagine an atheist's last words: "White, white! L-L-Love! My God!"�and the deathbed leap of faith. Whereas the agnostic, if he stays true to his reasonable self, if he stays beholden to dry, yeastless factuality, might try to explain the warm light bathing him by saying, "Possibly a f-f-failing oxygenation of the b-b-brain," and, to the very end, lack imagination and miss the better story.