[Vision2020] CO2 Lawsuit: Massachusetts, et al. v. Environmental Protection Agency, et al.

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Sun Jan 7 17:40:44 PST 2007

W. et. al.

I agree mostly with your thoughtful response...

I think the average consumer can drive corporate choices to address global
warming, simply by choosing to purchase much more fuel efficient vehicles.
If the gas guzzlers sit on car lots with no customers, the auto
manufacturers will make fewer.

Many people do want to make responsible choices for the environment, though
it is obvious that government should mandate higher fuel efficiency
standards.  That much better fuel efficiency standards have not been
mandated by the US Federal government is shocking, and no doubt connected to
corporate control over our government

Still, we have the corporate example of the founders of Google investing in
the new cheaper thin film solar panels that are now being manufactured, with
a huge manufacturing facility being built in the San Francisco Bay area.
British Petroleum, one of the worlds largest oil companies, also invests
heavily in alternative energy.  They even features ads claiming BP stands
for "Beyond Petroleum," gaining a favorable mention from many
environmentalists, though the bulk of their business is still fossil fuel
connected ("beyond petroleum," ha, ha, ha!).

Of course, if governments mandate CO2 penalties on economic activity, this
can provide a greed incentive to address the problem, both for corporations
and consumers (higher CO2 taxes at purchase for lower fuel efficiency
vehicles).  But when the corporations control government legislation, what
are the odds of this?  Which is very likely why we do not see CO2 taxes
imposed in the USA, and the USA opted out of the Kyoto Accords, while in
numerous other nations CO2 taxes are now a reality.  The power of US
corporations to force our government to not impose CO2 taxes on their
activity is probably greater than the corporate control in many other
nations.  Either that or in these other nations the corporations influencing
the government are not as driven by narrow short term greed, and take the
threat of global warming seriously.

A good case can be made based on the long term impacts of global warming,
even from a purely profit/greed orientation, that solving the problem now
will allow making more money in the long run.  But this is perhaps a
multi-generational argument, appealing to profiteers to consider the world
their children or grand children will inherit.  It seems that greed is
usually short term oriented, so despite the long term economic losses that
global warming will impose, these long term losses are ignored.

Of course, many in positions of power engage in wishful thinking that indeed
global warming is a hoax or exaggerated greatly, so why impose economic
penalties based on questionable assumptions? We hear this argument often.  I
even heard it coming from US Supreme Court justices in the ongoing federal
court case regarding the suit that the EPA should be regulating CO2 in
Massachusetts, et al. v. Environmental Protection Agency, et al.

One of the greatest challenges in addressing global warming is thus nothing
more than education regarding the validity of the science involved.  I
listened to testimony before the US Supreme Court from experts speaking on
behalf of those bringing this lawsuit, patiently explaining to the justices
the damage that CO2 will cause, specifically in the coastal areas of the USA
due to rising sea levels.

Action is being taken to address the USA's neglect of the global warming
issue, when the EPA is facing suit in the US Supreme Court over CO2
emissions!  As far as I have heard, this case has not been ruled on yet.

Ted Moffett