[Vision2020] Doug Farris: Sad News

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Thu Jan 4 12:03:28 PST 2007

Andreas writes: "You've written a piece of vaguely threatening, juvenile
nonsense and expect anybody to respond to it as though you've written a
scholarly article?"

1.    Where is the threat and whom have I threatened?
2.    Where is there any claim or pretense that the post claimed to be
scholarly?
3.    Of all the V 2020 posts, how many are not scholarly?  I don't remember
you condemning any of those that weren't for such a deficiency.

Andreas further writes: "You crossed a line. A fairly serious one. Gloating
about someone's fictionalized death is, frankly, pretty bizarre
behavior,..."

Not that I would even begin to compare myself for a second in quality of
output to Jonathan Swift, but:
http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~rbear/modest.html

Many parodies are bizarre/outrageous/etc.  That is why the term "parody" is
applied.  Just as Swift did not intend or wish for children to be eaten by
their parents in the above referenced work, I do not wish for Farris to be
eaten by a wolf on Moscow Mountain and then be eventually transformed into
toadstools and diesel fuel.  I should hope that most rational people reading
an obvious parody would consider that as a given, but then again there were
a few that took Swift's "modest proposal" as a serious advocacy.

Andreas, obviously the parody offended your taste and expectations.  You are
free to express your opinions thereupon but ultimately your taste and
expectation issues in this matter are issues to deal with within yourself.
You advise: "Seriously. Calm down."  Such advice might be more fruitfully
reflexively applied.

For the record, your first post claimed that I held a Ph.D.  Most people on
V 2020 know this to be false, but a question received motivates me to note
that I have never made such a claim since such a claim would not be true.

Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)
deco at moscow.com