[Vision2020] In Farewell, Farrakhan Condemns Bush, War

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Mon Feb 26 06:12:14 PST 2007

>From today's (February 26, 2007) Spokesman Review -

In farewell, Farrakhan condemns Bush, war

Peter Slevin
Washington Post
February 26, 2007

DETROIT - Denouncing President Bush for the war in Iraq and calling on
Muslims and Christians to stop killing one another, Nation of Islam leader
Louis Farrakhan led thousands of followers on a spirited tour of his views
of God and the world Sunday in an address described by aides as his last
major appearance.

Farrakhan, 73, who has been battling prostate cancer for nearly a decade,
spoke sharp words in a strong voice about international conflict and
personal responsibility. He gave no hint that he was ailing.

To young people who would join the military and fight in Iraq, he urged them
to stay away: "This is going down, and if you're going, you go down with it.
God is angry."

To Democrats unwilling to impeach Bush, he suggested censure: "Stop
pussyfooting around."

To people of faith at one another's throats, he called for unity: "How come
we, the people of God, cannot embrace each other?"

Farrakhan, who has delivered a message of black pride for decades, did not
repeat previous remarks about "white devils" or Jews, whom he has called
"bloodsuckers" who prey on the African-American community.

He denied he is anti-white, anti-gay, anti-Semitic or anti-American. He said
those labels were produced by critics "in hopes that somebody would rise up
to kill me."

Detroit is where the Nation of Islam got its start in 1930. Members of a
crowd that flowed to the Detroit Lions' indoor stadium on an icy afternoon
to celebrate the group's Saviours' Day said they came in expectation that
this would be Farrakhan's final big speech. Facing serious abdominal
surgery, he recently handed control of the group to an executive committee.

"Don't fall asleep on me," Farrakhan said in his speech, which lasted nearly
two hours. "Don't run out on me. I want you to think. Think!"

The world, he said, is in terrible shape "and it's getting worse by the
day."

Farrakhan criticized Muslims in Iraq for the murderous sectarian violence
between Sunnis and Shiites. He blamed the Bush administration for igniting
the bloodshed but said it was time for followers of the prophet Muhammad to
live as he had and for Christians to live more like Jesus.

Farrakhan returned repeatedly to Bush, demanding to know why the president
should not be impeached. He called him "warlike" and said the decision to
invade Iraq was dreadful.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

"It's hard for me, living in this beautiful White House, to give you a
firsthand assessment. I haven't been there. You have. I haven't."

-- George W. Bush, when asked by ABC reporter Martha Raddatz if there is a
civil war in Iraq