[Vision2020] Speaking of Public Schools . . .

heirdoug at netscape.net heirdoug at netscape.net
Thu Feb 22 17:05:05 PST 2007

Apple CEO lambasts teacher unions
I just had one of those “I can’t believe he actually said this”
moments. One of America’s greatest entrepreneurs and businessmen hit
the nail on the head. The solution: separation of school and state.

>From the Associated Press:

AUSTIN - Apple Inc. CEO Steve Jobs lambasted teacher unions Friday,
claiming no amount of technology in the classroom would improve public
schools until principals could fire bad teachers.

Jobs compared schools to businesses with principals serving as CEOs.

"What kind of person could you get to run a small business if you told
them that when they came in they couldn't get rid of people that they
thought weren't any good?" he asked to loud applause during an
education reform conference.

"Not really great ones because if you're really smart you go, 'I can't
win.'"

In a rare joint appearance, Jobs shared the stage with competitor
Michael Dell, founder and CEO of Dell Inc. Both spoke to the gathering
about the potential for bringing technological advances to classrooms.

"I believe that what is wrong with our schools in this nation is that
they have become unionized in the worst possible way," Jobs said.

"This unionization and lifetime employment of K-12 teachers is
off-the-charts crazy."
…
[Michael] Dell also blamed problems in public schools on the lack of a
competitive job market for principals.