[Vision2020] Industrial Hemp Legalization?

Robert Dickow dickow at uidaho.edu
Wed Feb 21 12:58:44 PST 2007

Legalizing hemp (and Papaver somniferum garden poppies) would, I'm afraid,
limit some of the government's power to confiscate your land and do other
nasty things to you WITHOUT due process. See Michael Pollan's article
related to this in 'Opium Made Easy-- One gardener's encounter with the war
on drugs' Harper's, April 1997. The U.S. government likes to have some
things like this that it can call on in order to arrest you and then not
allow you that one phone call to your attorney. Only in the U.S. is such a
thing possible. Oh, just so you know, having Opium poppy seeds is legal. It
is also legal to grow Opium poppies for garden use as long as you don't know
you are growing poppies for garden use. That is clearly stated in Section
841 of the Federal Controlled Substances Act of 1970. Go figure. Oh, by the
way, I have a really nice fluffy pink O. somniferum variety if anybody wants
some.... seeds that is.

Robert Dickow, troublemaker