[Vision2020] Another Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

Brent Bradberry brentbradberry at clearwire.net
Wed Feb 21 12:57:14 PST 2007

Hi, folks-
Mandy and I just got back from our constitutional. I "ski-walked" 3 or 4
miles while Mandy trotted probably 5 or 6, investigating lots of
intriguing scents. If one dog year is equivalent to seven human years,
Mandy is well over 100. She's deaf and sleeps more than she used to, but
she still loves to get out in the woods. The snow on Moscow Mountain was
crusty and probably great for snowshoes, but a little less than great
for cross-country skis. But still not bad. I chose to ski because it's
better on my old knees. And I ski pretty slowly, so that even when I
fall (which is not unheard of) I fall in slow motion, like the old
"Laugh-in" skit. I didn't see anyone else on the mountain or any human
tracks. I did cross fresh moose tracks several times; I think it was a
single adult moose who crossed the trail several times last night or
early this morning. I like the solitude, but I feel guilty about having
exclusive use of Moscow Mountain.

New topic: Thank you, Louise Barber, for sharing Dave's reports from
Nicaragua. It sounds as though he's having a great time and serving as a
goodwill ambassador. And our country can certainly use all the goodwill
ambassadors we can find. For the rest of you folks, I hope you can get
out and enjoy the beauty of our backyard treasure. If you are retired
(like me) or independently wealthy (like no one I know) or just able to
get away when you like, you could drive to Tamarack or Idler's Rest
after breakfast, ski or snowshoe for three hours and be home in time for
lunch. Or you could take off from work an hour early, play in the snow
for an hour and still make it home for the 6 PM news. Better still, take
a five year old child with you. If you don't have one, you might be able
to borrow one from a neighbor. Thirty minutes with a five year old and a
plastic sled will provide you a month's worth of fun.

Jim Peek gave a great lecture last night (on elk, deer and wolves in
central Idaho), and with apologies to Jim I'll steal and modify his
tag-line:
"Yir Lucky to be Livin in Moscow"

Brent (one of the luckiest) Bradberry