[Vision2020] Industrial Hemp Legalization?

Megan Prusynski megan at meganpru.com
Wed Feb 21 12:20:46 PST 2007

Hello visionaries,
I recently came across a post called "Industrial Hemp on the Horizon"
on the GreenOptions.com blog (on which I write a weekly column on
sustainable art and design). I thought it may interest others in
Moscow. As a long-time supporter of the legalization of industrial
hemp and a veteran of many Hemp Fests (in Moscow of course, as well
as the big one in Seattle), I was very excited to hear that a bill is
before Congress to re-legalize growing industrial hemp in our
country. Here is an excerpt from the post:

"The United States is the only industrialized nation that bans
farmers from growing industrial, non-psychoactive hemp, but a group
of lawmakers in Washington are trying to change that.

Last week, House Representative Ron Paul, a Republican from Texas who
is also running for president in 2008, was joined by 9 Democratic co-
sponsors in introducing House Resolution 1009, the Industrial Hemp
Farming Act of 2007. The bill would "remove restrictions on the
cultivation of non-psychoactive industrial hemp."

And you can read the entire article here: http://www.greenoptions.com/
blog/2007/02/20/industrial_hemp_on_the_horizon

It's about time that we re-legalized this very versatile, useful, and
environmentally-friendly plant, which needs no pesticides to grow,
provides a complete source of protein (hemp seeds), and can be used
to make anything from paper to cloth to plywood to bio-fuel.

Also, Moscow's 2007 Hemp Fest is scheduled for Saturday, April 21. I
will be on the planning committee again this year, and once again
designing the t-shirts and posters (hopefully we have more t-shirts
this year so they won't sell out quite so fast!) - there are some
great bands lined up and it should be another great event! Arlene at
Tye Dye Everything is heading up the planning, so if you're
interested in volunteering or need any more information, I encourage
you to get in touch with her.

Just thought we could use some good news around here... :)

peace!
~megan