[Vision2020] [Bulk] Re: Italy sides with terrorists

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 19 09:27:21 PST 2007

Tony,

I would say that kidnapping a private citizen on foreign soil is an act
of aggression, and shows hostile intent to the state involved.  At the
very least, it shows that we don't respect that country's sovereignty.
In this case it wasn't invasion because it wasn't carried out by our
troops, only our government operatives.  If harm against a private
citizen on foreign soil is not a form of aggression worthy of fighting
back against, then why have a military at all?

What I would like you to understand is that there is a huge gulf between
the idea of an aggressive, guilty, terrorist with blood on his hands and
someone who is only suspected of being involved with a terrorist
organization.  The difference is that the suspected terrorist might
actually be innocent.  Unfortunately, the only way they find that out is
after they have moved him to an illegal torture camp on foreign soil and
after they have tortured him enough to feel assured of his innocence.
Then what do they do?  They can't let him go, or he'll blab about their
illegal torture camp.  Isn't there something wrong with this picture?

The main difference, I think, between our viewpoints is that I think
that we should be responding to this crisis in such a way that we don't
tread on the civil liberties of our own citizens, or of those of other
countries.  Our rights are more important than the ease with which we
can stop terrorism.  How far do you take that idea, anyway?  If it's
suspected that there is a lone terrorist in Moscow, should the
government feel free to bomb us back to the stone age just to be sure
that one suspected terrorist is dead?  It's a natural progression from
where we were a few years ago to that sort of scenario.

If we had not attacked Iraq, then I would say that we should be working
with foreign governments to track down and arrest terrorists with the
support of the military if needed.  That doesn't mean that we should be
invading foreign countries on our own initiative.  We should be working
with the UN to eradicate terrorists on foreign soil.  Our intelligence
agencies should be working with those of other countries to track them down.

Paul