[Vision2020] Fantasy vs. Reality

david sarff davesway at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 13 12:23:24 PST 2007

Do individual rights to equality trump freedom of organized religion rights?
I don’t understand how a corporate education body practicing with the
express permission of  U.S. charter law can write by-laws that openly
support inequality. Regardless of religious belief.
Dave

>From:                           *Scholasterix*
>
>                                    *Notes, Memos, and Moments from Logos
>School*
>
>                                    January/February/March 2003, Volume 13,
>Number 3
>
>                                    Page 3, right hand column
>

>*Changes in the By-Laws*
>

>            As the Logos School Board considers an amendment to our by-laws
>that would limit board membership to men, the board thought it would be
>helpful to state a few principles that the board is taking into account:

    First, we are *not* considering this amendment because
>we
>believe that the scriptural requirement of men only in the eldership of a
>church applies to the board of a school.  Thus in our view, it is not a
>question of whether it is a "sin" to have a woman on the board, but rather
>question of wisdom and prudence in our current cultural circumstances.

    Second, in regard to those circumstances, we believe it
>is
>necessary to resist egalitarian feminism, which has spread through our
>culture and has even affected many parts of the church.  As a classical,
>Christian school committed to the Scriptures as our ultimate rule of faith
>and practice, we believe we have an obligation to set a positive example.
>Sad
>to say, frequently in the current climate, women seeking positions of
>authority (e.g. on a school board) subscribe to some form of feminist
>philosophy.  Rather than vetoing a nomination (which would appear to be
>personal instead of principled), we would rather address the issue this
>way,
>without involving personalities.

      Third, we want to positively encourage the involvement
>of the
>fathers and husbands in the God-ordained oversight of their children's
>education (Eph. 6:4).  As we do this, it creates a "de facto" presence of
>men only on the board (as it has been for the last fourteen years), and
>leaves the school in a legally unprotected position.  Courts have
>consistently found that discrimination can be "proved" from nothing more
>than the "results," and so it would be only prudent to have our practice
>outlined as a principle within our by-laws.

By law changes: