[Vision2020] Fantasy vs. Reality

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Wed Feb 14 09:25:48 PST 2007

David, et al,

The number of and complexity of court case relating to the conflict between
the right of religious belief and practice and other constitutionally
protected rights prevent a short response.  In my case, I have not kept up
with the latest rulings, hence cannot even offer a summary.

However, a closely related but perhaps more fundamental issue is the issue
of personal liberty and constitutional protections.

I am a nonbeliever, and thus do not determine my views based on any
particular set of religious/superstitious beliefs but rather on my
experiences and a critical examination of the experiences and perspectives
based on experience of others.  Nor do I wish to have my behavior proscribed
by others on the basis of their particular superstitious/religious beliefs.
Therefore, my view will not be persuasive to those that wish to impose their
particular religious/superstitious views (of which their many, many
different, very conflicting versions) on others.

Briefly, perhaps the following will offer a way to think about the issue of
the denial of personal liberty based superstitious/religious (and/or other
irrational) reasons.

I start with the premise that in an open society personal liberty/choice in
deciding what to become ought be granted to all mentally capable of
exercising it.

Without going into detail, there are some obvious qualifications.  We ought
discourage those would become dope dealers, thieves, assassins, etc from
doing so.  We need to recognize that there are those so mentally challenged
that they cannot make such choices for their own good.

A person's right to choose what to become also needs to be reconciled with
the rights of others to choose what to become and reconciled with the
constitutional rights of others.

Hence:

When any person is constrained by religious/superstitious strictures, for
example, from becoming what they would choose to attempt to become, then
such strictures are an unwarranted, restrictive intrusion on personal
liberty without rational justification.

There are natural constraints on becoming:  talent, background, economic
status, lack of opportunity, etc.  Sometimes/many times these constraints
can be overcome.  There is no way for a person to overcome irrational
constraints such as religious/superstitious strictures on becoming except to
recognize them as such, and thus free themselves from such constraints.  The
very instructive post by Sue Hovey (below) provides an example how this may
come about.

Thus telling a person based on superstitious/religious or other irrational
basis that they cannot do or become X because they are a woman, black,
Aleut, gay and/or etc because some egomaniac(s) have declared that some
alleged god says so is thus robbing them of perhaps one of the most
important pars of being alive -- personal liberty.  Such thievery is willful
personal abuse, and in the case of a child whose aspirations are
irrationally clipped during their formative years, severe child abuse, not
unlike castration or clitoridectomy.

But there is more.

Not only is robbing a child/person because of religious/superstitious and/or
other irrational beliefs of the right to freely aspire a denial of their
personal liberty and personhood -- the right to life, liberty, and the
pursuit of happiness -- a personal theft, but such robbery also steals from
the rest of society:

This latter theft is the theft of what any person might be able to
contribute to society if their aspirations were not fettered by
religious/superstitious or other irrational beliefs.  One only needs to look
at the present day contributions to society that many minorities of various
kinds make which in the past they would be denied the opportunity to make
because of irrational beliefs, almost all of them based on and/or supported
by particular religious/superstitious dicta.

Hence, I view those parents who knowingly place their children in
institutions with aspiration limiting religious/superstitious doctrines like
Logos School as willful child abusers:

1.    The female child is abused by having her aspirations constrained and
her role in future relationships emasculated.

2.     The male child who is indoctrinated to believe that women are to be
constrained because some egomaniac(s) has declared that some alleged god
demands such also have their future relationships emasculated, and are
encouraged to continue the same chain of abuse of denying the attempted
fulfillment of the aspirations of women.  The male child's future
relationships are also emasculated.

3.    Both female and male students are abused and society is being
negatively impacted and lessened by the encouragement to follow practices
that steal opportunities from themselves and thus lessen what they could
become, and also steal the fruits of their irrational dicta-fettered
personal aspirations from society.

Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)
deco at moscow.com