[Vision2020] Fantasy vs. Reality

News of Christ Cult news.of.christ.cult at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 11:08:46 PST 2007

*Fantasy:*

From:                           *Scholasterix*

                                    *Notes, Memos, and Moments from Logos
School*

                                    January/February/March 2003, Volume 13,
Number 3

                                    Page 3, right hand column

*Changes in the By-Laws*

            As the Logos School Board considers an amendment to our by-laws
that would limit board membership to men, the board thought it would be
helpful to state a few principles that the board is taking into account:

            First, we are *not* considering this amendment because we
believe that the scriptural requirement of men only in the eldership of a
church applies to the board of a school.  Thus in our view, it is not a
question of whether it is a "sin" to have a woman on the board, but rather a
question of wisdom and prudence in our current cultural circumstances.

            Second, in regard to those circumstances, we believe it is
necessary to resist egalitarian feminism, which has spread through our
culture and has even affected many parts of the church.  As a classical,
Christian school committed to the Scriptures as our ultimate rule of faith
and practice, we believe we have an obligation to set a positive example.  Sad
to say, frequently in the current climate, women seeking positions of
authority (e.g. on a school board) subscribe to some form of feminist
philosophy.  Rather than vetoing a nomination (which would appear to be
personal instead of principled), we would rather address the issue this way,
without involving personalities.

            Third, we want to positively encourage the involvement of the
fathers and husbands in the God-ordained oversight of their children's
education (Eph. 6:4).  As we do this, it creates a "de facto" presence of
men only on the board (as it has been for the last fourteen years), and
leaves the school in a legally unprotected position.  Courts have
consistently found that discrimination can be "proved" from nothing more
than the "results," and so it would be only prudent to have our practice
outlined as a principle within our by-laws.

By law changes:

Approved January 20, 2003

*Reality:*
http://www.cnn.com/2007/EDUCATION/02/11/harvard.president.ap/index.html

Harvard names first woman president Story Highlights*• NEW:* Historian and
Radcliffe Institute dean Drew Gilpin Faust to lead Harvard
• She replaced Lawrence Summers who made remarks in '05 some felt sexist
• Faust's appointment means half of U.S. Ivy League schools run by women

*CAMBRIDGE, Massachusetts* (AP) -- Drew Gilpin Faust recalls her mother
lecturing her that "this is a man's world, sweetie, and the sooner you learn
that, the better off you'll be."

It was a lesson, she wrote in a memoir, that she refused to accept.

On Sunday, Harvard University named Faust the first female president in the
school's 371-year history.

"I hope that my own appointment can be one symbol of an opening of
opportunities that would have been inconceivable even a generation ago,"
Faust said. But she also added, "I'm not the woman president of Harvard, I'm
the president of Harvard."

A Civil War scholar and respected university insider, Faust, 59, emerged as
a candidate considered by the school's governing body to be best suited to
cool tensions within the faculty after the tumultuous five-year presidency
of Lawrence Summers.

Two years ago, Summers created an uproar when he said that genetic gender
differences may explain why few women rise to top science jobs. At the
height of the controversy, Faust oversaw two panels that examined gender
diversity on campus.

She has been dean of the Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study since 2001,
two years after the former women's college merged into Harvard as a research
center with a mission to study gender issues.

Faust was elected by the seven-member Harvard Corporation, the school's
governing body, and ratified by the 30-member Board of Overseers.

With Faust's appointment, half of the eight Ivy League schools have woman
presidents. The other three are Amy Gutmann of the University of
Pennsylvania, Shirley M. Tilghman of Princeton University, and Ruth J.
Simmons of Brown University.

Faust pivots from managing Radcliffe, a think-tank with 87 employees and a
$17 million budget, to presiding over Harvard's 11 schools and colleges,
24,000 employees and a budget of $3 billion.

"She will need to scale up and she's shown all the qualities that suggest
she'll do that superbly," Gutmann said.

Lydia Barlow, a 26-year-old graduate student of Middle Eastern studies, said
Faust is "going to have to be outstanding" because "people see it as a
knee-jerk reaction to the comments made by President Summers."

But Robert Reischauer, a Corporation member, disagreed.

"All the reports have been 'gender, gender, gender,' and I'm thinking to
myself 'isn't that funny? That has not been something we've talked about at
all,"' he said.

In Faust, Harvard not only has its first woman leader, but a president who
has candidly discussed her feminist ideals in a memoir, "Shapers of Southern
History: Autobiographical Reflections." In it, she recalled her mother's
advice about a "man's world."

Born Catherine Gilpin to a privileged family in Virginia's Shenandoah
Valley, Faust recalls a conversation with the family's black handyman and
driver that inspired her to send a letter -- written in block letters on
school notebook paper -- to President Eisenhower pleading for desegregation.

Faust joins an exclusive roster of Harvard presidents that has included
colonial clergymen, Bay State patricians and a cabinet secretary.

Interim President Derek Bok will serve until July 1 when Faust takes over.

Faust becomes the first president without a Harvard degree since Charles
Chauncy, an alumnus of Cambridge University, who died in office in 1672. She
attended Bryn Mawr College and the University of Pennsylvania, where she was
also a professor of Southern history.

"Faculty turned to her constantly as someone whose opinion is to be
trusted," said Shelton Hackney, a former president of the University of
Pennsylvania and a Southern historian. "She's very clear, well-organized.
She has a sense of humor, but she's very even-keeled. You come to trust in
her because she's so solid."

The Harvard presidency is perhaps the most prestigious job in higher
education, offering an academic pulpit and unparalleled resources -- a
university endowment valued at nearly $30 billion.

But the job also comes with sharp scrutiny from a distinguished faculty and
relentless pressure to meet fundraising benchmarks.

Summers often stumbled in maintaining a diplomatic balance with the school's
disparate factions. Displeasure with what many professors called a brusque
management style ultimately led to a no confidence vote from faculty last
February.

"I believe Faust will bring dignity and honor back to Harvard," said Harry
R. Lewis, a former Harvard dean who wrote a book that criticized the school
for coddling students.

--

Juanita Flores
Advocate for the Truth from Jesus