[Vision2020] The Bible and wolves

Ralph Nielsen nielsen at uidaho.edu
Sat Feb 3 15:13:34 PST 2007

 From a fundamentalist activist in Boise. It makes me wonder who they
believe designed and created wolves in the first place.

Ralph

The Bible and wolves

Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Bryan Fischer, Executive Director

THE JUDEO-CHRISTIAN TRADITION AND THE DELISTING OF WOLVES

Although the issue of wolf delisting is outside the charter of the
IVA, the Judeo-Christian tradition does in fact offer a perspective
on the presence of predatory animals.

The book of Leviticus contains part of the civil code for the ancient
nation of Israel. In a section toward the end, God, speaking through
Moses, identifies the results of obedience in the nation’s life and
compares them to the consequences of disobedience.

He says, “If you follow my decrees and are careful to obey my
commands . . I will remove savage beasts from the land . . . But if
you will not listen to me . . . and reject my decrees and abhor my
laws . . . I will send wild animals against you, and they will rob
you of your children, (and) destroy your cattle . . ” (Leviticus
26:3, 6, 14, 22)

In other words, one sign that a nation is operating under an open
heaven and with the blessing of God is that its people will have
little to fear from predatory animals. On the other hand, one sign
that God is withdrawing his favor from a land due to its rejection of
him is that the nation must once again confront the threat to life
and livestock posed by predatory creatures from the wild.

The odd thing here is that, by deliberating re-introducing non-native
wolves into the wilds of Idaho, we in essence brought this danger
upon our selves. The wolf population is clearly threatening the
livelihoods – and lives - of any number of Idaho families, and it is
consistent with the Judeo-Christian tradition that decisive action be
taken to deal with the threat.

Idaho Values Alliance
PO Box 44873
Boise, ID 83711