[Vision2020] Daily News, Gritman outlines its plans for LHS

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 6 17:44:25 PST 2007

BJ,

  Thanks for the response. I want to be clear, I don't blame LHS or the CC for the fail of the LHS--I am angry that others are so quick to shut this place down and make a profit off the great loss of these people without taking the time to find some other sources for it to reopen. Nobody is even trying. It is sad, they have not heart.

  There is no need for an assisted living facility or a skilled nursing facility in the community that only accepts private care like you are proposing. There is only a need for one that takes government funded care.

  The only way a skilled nursing facility can stay open is if it subsidized by the county and state. I see neither Representative Tom Trail or Shirley Ringo, or our Senator Gary doing anything thing for state funding. In fact, the opposite, they are hastening its closing. And I see no local community leaders doing anything to get a plan and/or get a bond going to help out. No effort at all--not even an interest in saving it.

  But instead, what I do see is the vultures circling around the building looking a piece of profit or gain for their organization from its remains. It really is sad. I thought Moscow had a bigger heart.

  I am all for expanding the medical needs for those in Moscow, but not this way, and not a free profit to medical companies and private practice doctors.

  There is no excuse for our community to stop serving those that are in most need of community support. Many of these people are veterans and spouses of veterans; Tossed to the outshirts in their moments of greatest need. But nobody gives a shit because they don't have money. I am glad I have private insurance, I see how I would be treated otherwise.

  Best,

  Donovan

"B. J. Swanson" <bjswan at moscow.com> wrote:
        v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}        st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }                Donovan,

  Please notice that the yellow portion on the architect’s rendering is planned for skilled nursing.  Gritman will try to find an organization that will operate skilled nursing or assisted living in the 17,000 square foot upper eastern portion.  It would be an ideal place for skilled nursing or assisted living and would work well with Gritman Adult Day Health planned for the green section.  A larger version of the architect’s rendering is displayed in the Gritman lobby.

  However, the more Gritman learns about skilled nursing, assisted living, reimbursement rates, county homes, etc., the more apparent that it may be very difficult to find an operator.

  It’s easy to point fingers at the Latah County Commissioners and Latah Health Services for letting the facility fail.  But reality, history and government mandates can clearly explain why this happened.

  At one time, nearly every county in the State of Idaho had a ‘County Home.’  Now there are only two remaining, both highly subsidized by taxpayers.  The Boundary County facility receives about $300,000 annually in county taxpayer subsidies.  The Blaine County facility receives about $750,000 annually in county taxpayer subsidies.  A similar taxpayer subsidy would have been needed to keep Latah Health Services open.  Would the taxpayers of Latah County vote to subsidize LHS that much?  The Latah County Commissioners didn’t think so.  With the reversionary clause in place, Latah County voters would have had to approve a multi-million dollar bond to renovate the facility and then several hundreds of thousands of dollars for operations.  It’s very doubtful the voters of Latah County would have approved, similar to the voters of other Idaho counties where their county homes have gone out of business.

  This is a sad reality but is an indication of the healthcare changes that started in the 1990’s.  Medicare and Medicaid do not reimburse enough to pay the costs of indigent care in facilities.  Most skilled care/assisted living operators try to mix Medicaid residents with private pay residents in order to survive.  There are at least 50 extra licensed but vacant beds in the other facilities in Moscow.  The operators chose not to use them because a higher mix of Medicaid patients would make it difficult to survive.

  The Kaiser Family Foundation has done several studies on Medicare and the uninsured.  These papers outline the forced progression away from assisted living and skilled nursing facilities because of costs in favor of Home & Community Based Services (HCBS).  Gritman Adult Day Health and Gritman Home Health are considered HCBS’s.  The Medicare Modernization Act of 2003 further emphasizes reduced funding for care facilities.  Yesterday, President Bush announced that he wants more Medicare and Medicaid cuts.

  I believe there is a clear picture for the government to continue Medicare and Medicaid cuts and more encouragement for Home & Community Based Services, wellness programs, etc.  These services are what Gritman is planning for the facility and all without Latah County taxpayer subsidy.

  Gritman respects the decision of the voters on Tuesday and will hold that decision in highest regard.

  B. J. Swanson