[Vision2020] The Bible and wolves

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Sat Feb 3 17:19:53 PST 2007

The  Bronco's huge victory on the gridiron last month has been attributed to
Boiseans' prayers for a BSU-favorable outcome.  Now this drivel from the
Boise-centered Idaho Values Alliance.

I'm beginning to wonder if Boise is becoming a center for dumb theology on a
level we've previously only seen from the parts of Oklahoma, Florida and
Virginia that house the ministries of Oral Roberts, Benny Hinn and Pat
Robertson.

One might wonder if a more holistic reading of the Bible would lead
believers to conclude that God cares for creation and punishes people and
policies that violate it.  The weird hermeneutic of the uber-conservatives,
however, seems to favor a dash of Deuteronomy, a little Leviticus, a pinch
of the Proverbs and a teaspoon of First Thessalonians to construct a "use it
or lose it/us vs. them" theology of environmental stewardship that is
foreign to the entirety of Scripture.

Yes, humankind has sinned enormously in exploiting creation, but further
enmity against it hardly seems like appropriate penance.

keely