[Vision2020] gossip and attacks

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Thu Feb 1 07:39:28 PST 2007

Knowing that it won't matter much to those who take a lot of joy in anything
that involves pain or embarrassment to individual members of Christ Church,
I have to say that yesterday's post involving  a church email regarding Doug
Farris' anniversary trip absolutely crossed the line.  It was gossip, pure
and simple, designed to humiliate someone.  It made me sick.

I don't like Doug Farris and when he's behaved badly, I have called him on
it.  But J Ford's post yesterday was as full of vitriol as anything I've
seen lately, and I'm deeply sorry to Doug and his wife and family for the
embarrassment it caused them.  I didn't much care for Doug's response, but I
can understand his feeling the need to protect his family, even if by
lashing out at someone who hurt them.  This isn't what Vision 2020 is for;
it isn't what the English language ought to be for, and sure as hell isn't
how we ought to treat other people.

Yes, I'm known for going after the leadership of Christ Church -- because of
what they've done and said, and continue to do and say.  Their views and
actions have harmed the community and the witness of the Gospel on the
Palouse.  But these are issues of corporate behavior and public actions;
they deserve public comment.  Gossip, on the other hand, involves by
definition private behavior and is designed to present someone in a
less-than-flattering light.  It's wrong, and it shouldn't loccur without
reprimand.

I have learned a lot since my wreck about needing and asking for help.  I
don't like it, believe me.  But God bless the people in a congregation who
offer help when a need is presented -- whether I like the church, the people
offering, or the people who ask.  And I hope the Farris family has a
wonderful anniversary trip, with my congratulations.

keely