[Vision2020] Religion Has No Part in Process

deb debismith at moscow.com
Sat Aug 25 23:58:48 PDT 2007

Exactly my concerns. I realize she is young, and perhaps a bit foolish, but where is the training on diversity and tolerance that would prevent this obviously biased person from carrying those biased views into the workplace? Latah County is diverse, and is becoming more so daily. These biases need to be addressed, even if only held by one silly young person working there. I am sure she is intelligent and well qualified for the position for which she was hired--she would not have been hired otherwise, given the hiring process--but does that process take into account the need to work with a diverse population in a respectful and professional manner? Following hiring, is there mandatory diversity training for employees?

I know from people of color who live in Latah County that they are terrified of being stopped on the highway (more so than the rest of us who just hate to be stopped). Latah County is a great place to live, but our reputation still is linked with the north Idaho Neo-Nazi folks. I have students of color who will not come to my home in rural Latah County unless I am driving. For them, the police are part of the problem. It may not be the truth, but it is part of their view of reality. It doesn't help that the young person in question at the Sherriff's office sent messages to a religious organization linked to the League of the South (and, believe me, people of color know about that organization in a bad context!!) promoting the Sherriff's office as a place for them.

I believe the  Sherriff's Department has sent officers to the Finding the Center Conference Human Rights Conference (someone check me if I'm wrong), and I know this is an issue about which our Sherriff cares. Perhaps some visible training announcements could assist in changing the perception of Latah County as a bastion of intolerance and bias?

I know I have to counter this perception of racism in Idaho on a daily basis. I hear "I want to go to the Palouse Mall, but I know I'm going to be watched like I'm a shoplifter", "If I get stopped by the police in Idaho I will just go to jail and maybe get beat up", "I need something from.......but don't dare go to Moscow. They are racist. Could you pick it up for me?", and, from my friends who live way out on Highway 95 North, "I'm going to be coming home late from work tonight. Can I stay at your house? I'm afraid of getting stopped because I'm driving while being Black." Again, it is about being afraid of our reputation, not about knowing the truth of our community. We didn't earn it, but we have to own it. We also have to change it.

I'm tired of being labeled as a North Idaho Redneck Racist when I live in a diverse and accepting community. I love Moscow and Latah county. Who we really are is not on the radar. The anti-diversity, Neo-Nazi image still prevails. I want to change this perception. As a community, how can we do this? Step up to the plate, you lurkers. get some guts. Find a positive way to make the change. Stop talking about it and DO something!!!

Debi R-S