[Vision2020] Winco Vs. Super Walmart

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 22 02:47:43 PDT 2007

Mark,

  Even if it were true, that Latah and Whitman could not stand to hold two or three large discount stores, and we really obtained three stores, why should it be your decision, or the decision of a few influential people in Moscow to decide which stores should stay and which ones don't get to open? Shouldn't it be the residents of the Palouse that get to make that decision with their own earned dollars?

  I agree, that if you gave me my money, you could decide how I should spend it. But since I earned my money shouldn't I get to decide where I want to spend it, Mr. Solomon? Who gave you ownership over my money and the money of others?

  What you seem to be saying Mr. Solomon is that Moscow residents are stupid, and that they need you to protect them from making stupid and unwise decisions with their own earned dollars.

  Winco cannot handle the traffic it is getting.  I want a grocery store that doesn't need stop lights and a crosswalk to get from the peas to the lentils without getting flattened by a backwards moving forklift trying to restock the Puppy Chow. Excuse me if I don't want to look like one of those squished grapes that rolled off the vine and under the fruit bin.

  The economy would grow if we have cheaper groceries for three reasons. First, a Supercenter would bring in new customers from around Latah, such as Genesee, Troy, Deary, Uniontown, etc. Second, the money people would save on groceries would allow residents to spend their money on other things, like supporting more restaurants, electronic stores, and theater. Third, it would make Moscow more affordable, making it a more attractive place for other businesses and industry to locate here.

  Raising the price of food isn't doing the community good Mr. Solomon, it hurts especially the poor that have about $150 a month in stamps to live on.

  Best,

  Donovan

Mark Solomon <msolomon at moscow.com> wrote:
        Donovan,

  That assumes that there is enough customer base to support three, count them, three discount grocers in the Moscow/Pullman area (I'm assuming for the moment, not happily, but assuming anyway that the Pullman SuperWalmart will eventually be built). If/when the Pullman SW opens, Winco will take a big hit as Pullman shoppers stay closer to home. There's no reason to assume someone in Pullman going discount grocery shopping after a SuperWalmart opens in Pullman would drive to Moscow to shop at Winco or at a Moscow SuperWalmart. I have no numbers on how many WA residents shop at Winco but from eyeballing the tags in the parking lot I'd hazard a guess that it could be up to 40% of the total at Winco. Let's say a Moscow SuperWalmart opened competing for the 60% of the discount grocery shoppers left and say each got half: that's 30% of the current customer base for Winco. Seems to me that the final outcome is two SuperWalmarts, one in Moscow, one in Pullman and no competition. Or
 choice.

  Mark