[Vision2020] Winco Vs. Super Walmart

Mark Solomon msolomon at moscow.com
Sat Apr 21 20:37:40 PDT 2007

Donovan,

That assumes that there is enough customer base to support three,
count them, three discount grocers in the Moscow/Pullman area (I'm
assuming for the moment, not happily, but assuming anyway that the
Pullman SuperWalmart will eventually be built). If/when the Pullman
SW opens, Winco will take a big hit as Pullman shoppers stay closer
to home. There's no reason to assume someone in Pullman going
discount grocery shopping after a SuperWalmart opens in Pullman would
drive to Moscow to shop at Winco or at a Moscow SuperWalmart. I have
no numbers on how many WA residents shop at Winco but from eyeballing
the tags in the parking lot I'd hazard a guess that it could be up to
40% of the total at Winco. Let's say a Moscow SuperWalmart opened
competing for the 60% of the discount grocery shoppers left and say
each got half: that's 30% of the current customer base for Winco.
Seems to me that the final outcome is two SuperWalmarts, one in
Moscow, one in Pullman and no competition. Or choice.

Mark