[Vision2020] Double Standard

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 12 20:41:15 PDT 2007

Don Coombs wrote:
> If African Americans came up with a despicable slang
> term for Whites and called one of them that, then THAT
> would be parallel to Whites calling an African American
> something offensive. ("Honky" doesn't seem all that
> bad. I guess it's difficult to come up with despicable
> terms for people in the majority.)

Indeed, I was having a hard time coming up with such a term.  Even what
I could remember of the movie Undercover Brother was failing me.  Lots
of terms for "The Man" aka "Whitey" aka "Honky McGee", but nothing for
white people in general.  Even Wikipedia is failing me.  All I can find
(with an admittedly cursory search) is "Whitey", "Cracker", and some
terms used by non-African Americans such as "gaijin", "haole", or
"gringo", and some terms from a century or two back such as "peckerwood".

Paul