[Vision2020] [Bulk] Re: What is wrong with this picture?

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Thu Apr 5 11:05:18 PDT 2007

Paul,

We are in some agreement, especially about false accusations in divorce cases, but I am puzzled by your statement:

"I just think that we have to balance the risk of further harm to children if he is guilty with the possible harm done to this man's whole life if he is innocent."

I think most of the harm is done to an innocent accused when the charge is first made.  If the accused is ultimately found to be innocent, then some of the harm may be mitigated.  I do not believe that keeping the son away from his father's church during the period of uncertainty is going to add substantially to the damage already incurred by the filing of the charges.

I am concerned about the period between the first formal charge, which causes the damage, and the final disposition.  Unlike your predisposition, I do not always agree with a judge's decision given a set of facts/probabilities.  For all of us locals, the Frederick Russell case comes to mind, along with the Sitler Case.  Googling can find many other cases where a judge's discretion has not been used wisely.  In fact, that is the basis of this discussion thread.

According to news reports of the Robinson case the alleged sexual contact started when the alleged victim was 15 years old and continued for about two years.

Youth Pastor Robinson is about 29 years old.  He has been married for about 8 years.  He was 27 and the alleged victim was 15 when the alleged molestation started.  If the allegations are true, it is just not sexual behavior that is the issue, but predatory sexual behavior by a power figure in an allegedly spiritual sanctum.  Hence, another reason to err on the side of caution.

Here is another aspect of the problem;  it is not an imaginary one as something similar happened in a local case where allegedly not just one but five children of one family were molested:

After a charge is made, especially of a member of or a professional in a religious or other close-knit organization, sometimes an enormous amount of pressure of various kinds are exerted on the victim and the victim's family to change their story, to suppress important parts of the story, and/or to agree to a sweetheart plea bargain.

In the Robinson case where the accused father is the pastor of the church where the accused worked and where at least some of the alleged molestation occurred, the message being sent to the congregation seems to be that the youth pastor by his redeployment in the church is innocent.  Such a message from the senior pastor appears to be a not-so-subtle message to the congregation that the alleged victim and her family are lying, and the congregation needs to take action in support of his son, action which would be designed to pressure the victim and the victim's family.

In my opinion the best thing for the health of the congregation, and certainly for the victim and the victim's family would be for the father to keep the son away from the church and let the legal process reach a conclusion.  I would also argue that a condition of bail, if bail was warranted at all, would be continuous electronic monitoring.

W.