[Vision2020] Scientific Consensus?: Global Warming, etc.

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 01:18:56 PDT 2007

Paul et. al.

I did not seek debate with you as some sort of personal contest to "win" an
argument.  I would much rather discover the scientific evidence mostly
argues against dangerous human induced climate change.  I would sleep better
for it.  And feel less need to cut back on my fossil fuel use.

I asked you to answer why I should not trust the evidence presented in the
Science magazine article on the scientific consensus for human induce global
warming.  In short, if you think this article in general to be
wrong, explain why the article and its sources are false. Your skepticism
appears to suggest you think the article to be false, or at least not well
grounded to a high probability in the best science.

I guess you are saying you really don't give a damn about whether there is
or is not a current scientific consensus on global warming, or at least care
enough to defend your skepticism based on science...You have "other
projects... to focus on..."  Well, why didn't you just say so?  I was
wasting my time responding, well, unless by some miracle someone else read
my response to some positive effect.

I do not buy your "I'll leave saving the world to somebody more qualified"
line...

Those who are most qualified to speak on the global warming issue are for
the most part not those controlling governments, armies, and multinational
corporations, and most scientists are not among the super rich who have more
power over the decisions regarding fossil fuel use than those of modest
economic means.  Everyone has some obligation, I am inclined to feel, to
educated themselves about the dangers of environmental degradation, and take
action to address the problems.  If the scientists who study these issues
and are the most "qualified" are the only people attempting
social/political/economic change, they will face an overwhelming task.

Thanks for your skepticism.  Rene Descartes "all powerful evil deceiver"
should always be kept in mind.

Just don't be so open minded that, in the words of another Vision2020
subscriber who sent me this advice in an Offlist message, your "brains fall
out on your lap."

Ted Moffett