[Vision2020] Scientific Consensus?: Global Warming, etc.

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 1 20:56:19 PDT 2007

Ted,

I'm not going to debate with you about the science of global warming.
Like I said in my previous post, I'm not qualified to do so.  You are
probably right, hell you probably have a 90% confidence level of being
right.  So strike one up in the win column for yourself and move on.

However, you ask why I'm so skeptical about this.  I'm 41 years old.
Just a youngster to many on this list, I'm sure.  Still, I've spent the
last 20 years of my life relearning what I thought I knew from the
previous 20.  Our knowledge about the world has grown that quickly.  I
can't keep up any more.  The funny thing is, though, that every person
who told me what they thought was true believed it to be true just as
vehemently as those who tell me what they think they know do now.  Hence
the skepticism.  I wouldn't be surprised if we find out 20 years from
now that what we thought we knew about lots of different things
(including Global Warming) is wrong.  I'm not saying it is wrong, I'm
not saying it's going to be wrong, I'm just not going to be surprised if
it goes the way of global cooling in the 70's.

Global warming has all the hallmarks of a subject that could turn out to
be wrong.  Big money is behind one side of it, a "save the world"
mentality is behind the other side.  Lots of interests to protect, lots
of damage if we guess wrongly.  And still, too many variables that
affect each other.

On a more practical front, we are not at odds.  I think we should reduce
our consumption of fossil fuels or even eliminate it entirely as a fuel
source.  We should work to make energy production as clean as possible.
And, even if we lived in a world where the Middle East was a peaceful
place and oil was non-polluting with respect to other dangerous toxins
except for CO2, I would be advocating cleaner technologies because of
the looming threat of global warming even if I don't have a 90%
confidence level in it being true.  It's just a smart thing to do.

So, I have no interest in trying to defend my skepticism on this point.
It's simply an effect of my upbringing.  Besides, I have other projects
I wish to focus on right now.  I'll leave saving the world to somebody
more qualified than me.

Paul