[Vision2020] Scientific Consensus?: Global Warming, etc.

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 2 19:36:35 PDT 2007

Ok, I've taken a deep breath.  My apologies for being rude.  I was
reacting to your having "called me out" about that message that I had
posted some number of months ago that I've since forgotten all about.
Now I've realized what (I think) the issue is:  you are wanting to have
a debate; I'm wanting to have a discussion.

I'm thinking of this more as a group of college students late at night
eating pizza, drinking beer, and discussing a topic in the news.  There
are lots of "what about such-and-such" kinds of comments, and rebuttals
to those comments, and so forth.  It appears that you are thinking of
this as two groups holding hardline positions on the subject who are
each working to best support their case.  So when I posted about a
website I ran across, it was basically with the idea that it might
(given what I knew at the time) be useful in the discussion.  It seemed
reasonable to me, and as this was a new subject to me, I based much of
my opinions about global warming on it.  It was pretty handily stomped
upon, which to me was an educational experience.  I got out of what I
wanted, which was your reaction to a different perspective and I learned
from it.  That's how I like to learn: look at things from all angles
until my knowledge about it generally gels into an opinion.  Your
response was a good one, and it changed how I think about global warming
a bit.  I did not, however, expect to have to go rebut your rebuttal of
my post.  I didn't do the work to create the pages I linked to, it's not
my position that I feel obligated to defend; in fact, my views on it
changed enough that I'm not sure I even want to defend it anymore.  As
I've mentioned previously, I'm not knowledable enough about this to do
that kind of thing and I don't feel strongly enough about it to do the
underlying learning that I would need to do to be able to argue
knowledgably about this subject.  That would require more than just
reading a few webpages and the wikipedia entry on it.  I've too many
irons in the fire for that.

So, I might pop in a question here or there, but I don't have any stakes
in the answers and will not be taking whatever new perspective I'm
currently evaluating as a position that I will expect that I will have
to defend in the future.

I also want to say that this is nothing personal.  I appreciate your
posts and look forward to reading your opinions on a variety of
subjects.  Don't let my emotional reaction to being (or so I felt)
called on the carpet in front of an audience dissuade you from
continuing to post your well-thought out emails.  Even today, after
years of trying to rid myself of this, I still hold too much self-worth
in how intelligent I appear to others.

Paul