[Vision2020] Risch Says No on Prop 2

Bruce and Jean Livingston jeanlivingston at turbonet.com
Sat Sep 30 13:14:37 PDT 2006

Re: [Vision2020] Risch Says No on Prop 2Gary,

I do not share your expectation that the Idaho Supreme Court will ignore the plain language of the statute that would become state law if the electorate passes Proposition 2.  There are many cases on statutory interpretation, and the most common rule of construction (or statutory interpretation) is that the plain language of the statute means what it says.  Another common rule of construction is that every word of the statute is intended to have meaning, and you cannot read out of existence a clause in the statute, just because you think it is silly or unwise.  And of course the cases are legion that note the difference between "and" and "or," as well as "may" and "shall."  If the statute plainly states that it applies (and compensation must ["shall"] be paid) when a property owner's ability to use land is "limited or prohibited" [meaning either] by "the enactment or enforcement" [again, meaning either] of any land use law that diminishes the property value after the property was acquired by the landowner, the meaning is clear.  You cannot interpret this statute to mean only the enactment of a land use law subsequent to the owner's acquisition of the land, because that interpretation reads out of the statute the plain language -- "or enforcement" of any land use law -- and denies the "or enforcement" clause of any meaning.

Look at the language of the statute again:

"If an owner's ability to use, possess, sell, or divide private real property is limited or prohibited by the enactment or enforcement of any land-use law after the date of acquisition by the owner of the property in a manner that reduces the fair-market value of the property, the owner shall be entitled to just compensation."

This proposition should be seen for what it is -- an attempt to overturn land use laws and eliminate the ability of local governments to plan and control development  through the use of zoning laws, laws that give property owners some dependability and predictability on how the land around them can be used.

I understand and appreciate the belief of the most ardent defenders of private property rights that zoning laws are bad policy and an infringement of individual rights.  There are communities that have chosen not to have zoning laws, presumably for those very reasons.  Reason Magazine routinely used to cite Houston, Texas as an example of how "successful" such a system can work, with a factory next to a store, next to a house, etc., and how the market controlled uses in Houston, rather than a zoning code.  Others have disagreed with the Libertarian publishers of Reason about how "successful" Houston's lack of land use laws has been, and I suspect that is why suburbs surrounding Houston chose to accept some limitation on their private property rights in exchange for the reliability and predictability of the zoning codes that were adopted in those communities.  I believe that Idaho County is another example of a place that has not chosen to have a zoning code, and there, presumably, a trailer can be built next to a house, next to a gun club, next to a church, next to a machine shop, next to a bar, etc., etc.

While one might disagree over the wisdom of having a zoning law or not, based on one's willingness to limit property rights in any fashion or not, one ought not to presume that Proposition 2 does not mean what it says.  It is plainly written in such broad language for a reason -- to gut land use laws by making it too expensive for any local government, not just to enact, but to enforce, existing laws.

It is unreasonable of you to presume that a state court will ignore long held rules of statutory interpretation to find a middle ground in what the statute might be interpreted to mean, (you activist judge, you!), simply because you find it preposterous that someone could intend to pass a statute that would allow property owners to do whatever they wanted with their land and blackmail communities into allowing any use of private property based on potentially exorbitant claims for "just" compensation, notwithstanding the terms of the existing land use statute as written.  There are many people with Libertarian beliefs who think that eliminating restrictions of any kind on all private property is a good thing and not the least bit preposterous.

In sum, I think you are absolutely wrong to assume that Mark's argument is "specious," and I think you are highly likely to be wrong in assuming that the Idaho Supreme Court will interpret Proposition 2 in a way that does not give meaning to the "or enforcement"  clause and the intent of the proposition.  The proponents of this proposition are ardent Libertarians, and it would be inconsistent with their beliefs and intent to interpret the statute to mean anything other than what it actually says, since that plain language is entirely consistent with their Libertarian philosophy.

Bruce Livingston