[Vision2020] Risch Says No on Prop 2

g. crabtree jampot at adelphia.net
Sat Sep 30 11:54:27 PDT 2006

Re: [Vision2020] Risch Says No on Prop 2Mark, thank you for your reply. It seems to me that your first argument

The catch is the phrase "or enforcement" which, whether intended or not, allows for application of any existing zoning code to be considered under Prop 2.

...is specious. If dozens of property owners come forward and claim that they must be compensated for their loses because they can't build coal fired power plants or nuclear waste repositories on their improperly zoned land, I am quite certain that the courts will "consider" it, chuckle, and dismiss the claims out of hand. The idea that I would/could/should sue because I can't build a thirty story office tower on my R-1 residential lot is laughable. To attribute a similar sense of humor to the rest of the citizens of our state does them a serious disservice.

Your second...

"Then there is the simple truth that land use patterns evolve over time as community's change. Locking in today's codes as the perfect blueprint for future generations doesn't make sense to me. These are local decisions made by locally elected officials who can be unelected if they do not reflect the will of the public as I well know."

... and I suspect more telling concern, is where I see Prop 2 actually being a very good thing. If government decides to enact an arbitrary change in land use policy which is going to negatively impact a citizens property values, the state should reimburse him for his loss. If a matter is important enough to burden private citizens it should be important enough to pay for. If it were determined in the future that Moscow Mtn. should be a coddling moth preserve and all residential uses be disallowed, I feel sure that I know at least one person who would very much hope to be compensated. I, for one, hope very much that he would be.

Lastly, there's the concept that was expressed in a quote I saw (and admired) recently here on the V which I am sure I am about to mangle horribly... "Man, this is going to be a train wreck. Lets see how it turns out!" ...What we have now isn't all that peachy. Lets try something different and see how that goes.

gc