[Vision2020] CO2 Tax In Other Nations: engine tax

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 11:00:35 PDT 2006

Paul, David et. al.

Taxes to address CO2 emissions from fossil fuel powered vehicles (and other
uses of fossil fuels) should be called a "CO2 tax," as they are now in other
nations. People should understand the tax is specifically aimed at
addressing human sourced global warming.

Even without global warming, the coming fossil fuel depletion crisis alone
justifies radical measures to encourage conservation, with specific
taxes tied to fossil fuel use earmarked for a well funded aggressive
development and implementation of alternative fuels and energy as a matter
of national security.  Read at link below on this effort:

http://www.apolloalliance.org/

If the USA does not implement widespread alternatives to fossil fuel on
a massive scale, even dismissing global warming, we are likely within the
next century to face economic hardships, resource wars, etc. from fossil
fuel depletion, that rise to the level of a national security threat, if
this is not already the case.  Aggressive fossil fuel
conservation/alternative energy development taxes thus might be viewed as
critical to the future integrity of the USA as taxes to fund the military.

Even those who favor much lower taxes/less government should consider it
necessary for taxes to specifically address these issues, given the gravity
of the problems.

Other nations are already moving ahead with CO2 taxes.  See CO2 tax
calculator below for United Kingdom vehicles, with other links to info about
CO2 taxes in several nations. The USA, with the most CO2 emissions per
capita by far, is demonstrating egregious irresponsibility on this issue,
though California's historic recent legislation to address global warming is
a promising development.

Below are a few links to info on California's CO2 reduction legislation:

http://www.ens-newswire.com/ens/aug2006/2006-08-31-04.asp

http://www.ucsusa.org/news/press_release/california-enacts-nations.html

Links below to info on other nations CO2 taxes:

http://www.comcar.co.uk/dir1in.cfm

http://www.redpathaghort.com/bulletins/AboutCO2Tax.html

http://odin.dep.no/fin/english/topics/p4500279/p4500285/006041-990410/dok-bn.html
---------