[Vision2020] why is Moscow growing?

Nils Peterson nils_peterson at wsu.edu
Tue Sep 19 22:14:14 PDT 2006

Bruce, I think that is a very good answer.

The report suggests Moscow has attracted residents who might have chosen to
live elsewhere. We understand some of the reasons for that attraction.

Clearly, these are small communities and one big success like Schweitzer
landing in one town or the other will have regional effects, but I think we
would usefully ask what steps would expand on Moscow's attraction and
especially on attracting the kinds of companies you list.

Its always struck me (since 68 when my family moved here) how similar
Pullman and Moscow are at a gross demographic level and how different they
are on a micro level. I've long wondered about the reasons for the
difference.

My current hypothesis is that Moscow has more flat land, and much of the
flat land lies in downtown and between the town and university.

Among illustrative examples, consider the amount of land developed by the
railroads. There used to be two turn tables in Moscow, (near hwy 95). I know
of none in Pullman. So Pullman was more of a pass-through place and Moscow a
shop and destination or engine change location (e.g., more RR industry and
jobs).

While I'm willing to accept the NewCities "Knowledge Corridor, don't compete
with Pullman" notions, how does Moscow use its geographic features to
advantage? A previous answer was the regional shopping malls. What is the
next answer?