[Vision2020] Parking

Nils Peterson nils_peterson at wsu.edu
Fri Sep 15 07:07:25 PDT 2006

Mark

I think what is really going on is that no one is willing to charge for
parking (eg meters) which would regulate demand and no one is willing to pay
to expand parking (though they might welcome some one else paying to expand
the pool of parking). I'm also guessing that there is no broad base of
political support that would lead the City to pay to build parking.

Bill Parks has spoken about changing the length of time one can park along
Main (maybe various blocks would elect to have different rules). Shortening
the max time to 1 hour or 90 min might move things along faster (at the
expense of employee parking, which would then need to be addressed)

The merits of Bill's idea are that they are low cost and groups of downtown
merchants and occupants could probably meet, decide and ask the City to
implement quickly.

I still like the COOP's approach (though long range) of working with its
customers to change their driving/parking habits for visits to the COOP. I
personally am having trouble implementing the change, and that nags at me,
but they are spending their money to address both the parking problem and
other problems stemming from personal automobile use on several scales.