[Vision2020] Parking

mark seman baukunst at moscow.com
Fri Sep 15 11:48:12 PDT 2006

Nils,
I applaud the COOP's effort to look long-term and attempt to alter local
driving habits.  While it may be able to impact its own patrons, some of the
CBD's parking issues are about other business owners/employees parking on
Main and they are slow to change their habits.

A parking structure is an attempt to better utilize land (behind NSA) and
would benefit out-of-town visitors (as well as locals.)  Unless our culture
changes drastically, Moscow will eventually require vertical parking to
accomodate its needs.

Prescott, AZ (which I see as similar to Moscow 15-20 years into the future)
built one 2 years ago.  It is well-used, although rarely full, except during
community events that bring tourists in.  But it anticipates the future,
while being of benefit today.

Of course multi-use is good and in addition to being a place to park cars,
it could be a covered venue for Farmers' Market and other existing & new
community events.  I view a parking structure as an eventuality.  It's been
talked about for many years, with no action towards implementation.  There
are those who'd like to not have it.  I'd like to see it, and therefore I'd
like to see effort(s) made towards making it happening.  Collaborative
efforts started early can make it happen in 10-20 years.

Bond levy is just part of the answer.  Funding stategies that spread the
cost over a wide populous (residents & visitors) and an extended time-frame
(since such a structure will be used for 50+ years) is my preference - many
benefactors need to assist with its funding.  I do see it as part of
Moscow's future - every town gets one eventually - unless our automobile
culture changes significantly.

Mark

mark r. seman, architect

v=928.925.7617   f=928.776.9107