[Vision2020] Wal-Mart impact studies

Jeff Harkins jeffh at moscow.com
Mon Sep 11 10:32:44 PDT 2006

Of course Andreas, you are referring to the process of preparing
manuscripts for publication in an academic journal.

The study prepared by Steve was a private consulting activity for the
Moscow Chamber of Commerce.  Steve is under no obligation to provide,
say you, with anything.  Presumably the report is owned by the client.

You also claim that an academic review for the purpose of publishing
would involve a review of the conclusions as well as the data.

In point of fact, that is not correct.  A manuscript would be
reviewed in its entirety - from the abstract to the statement of the
problem, the choice of methodology, the assumptions, the testing as
well as the conclusions.  The data might be available for review, but
it would not necessarily be required.  In many cases, the data
contains information that was obtained under a privacy and anonymity
arrangement.

Fortunately for the Peterson study, most of the data was obtained
from compilations maintained by various local, state and federal
agencies.  And Steve has provided complete citations for the data he
used.  Should you find an exception to that, just provide the item in
a post and I am rather confident that item will be resolved.