[Vision2020] [Spam] Re: The Moscow Food Co-Op and Mad Cow

lfalen lfalen at turbonet.com
Thu Sep 7 10:05:44 PDT 2006

Excellent post and reasonably well balanced. I am from a cattle ranck background and am a meat eater. I curently raise sheep.Most of the people I know in the Livestock Industry are opposed to cruelty and take every precation to see that animals are treated humanely. There is no justification for  not being compasionate to all livestock. PETA and some environmetaliists are opposed to all animal agrriculture for environmental reasons. Most of these reasons are bogus. This is not to say that there are not some problems. These problems such as waste from Dairies and Feedlots  are the subject of ongoing research. These byproducts will in the near future be a valuable source of energy. They are already a good source of fertilizer. By products from animals are used in all facits of our lives. In addition to food, clothing and medicine animal product usage in industry is endless. Without them the quality of live would be greatly deminished.

Thre are of course instances where animals inadvertinatly sufer, just like there is with humans. In domestic animals this suffering can be treated and minimized. Wild animals are also subject to a wide variety of deseases and surfering. They go untreated. In hunting not everything is a clean kill. Some sufer prolonged pain. Hunting is still a valuable management tool in controling overpopulation, desease and starvation.

Again I applaud your balanced and reasonable post. I do not question the integrity sincerity and compasion of the folks at PERA. They are just misguided.

Roger