[Vision2020] Wal-Mart impact studies -- Paper (.pdf file) Attached

Stephen Cooke scooke at uidaho.edu
Thu Sep 7 08:07:23 PDT 2006

fyi,
SCC

***********PAPER INFORMATION **********************
TITLE
Has Wal-Mart Buried Mom and Pop?: The Impact of Wal-Mart on Self
Employment and Small Establishments in the United States by Russell S.
Sobel and Andrea M. Dean

ABSTRACT
Saving traditional small 'mom and pop' businesses has been a
justification for political and court decisions preventing Wal-Mart from
opening new stores virtually everywhere across the United States. We
present the first rigorous econometric investigation of how Wal-Mart
actually impacts the small business sector. We examine the rate of
self-employment and the number of small employer establishments using
both time-series and cross-sectional data. Contrary to popular belief,
our results suggest that the process of creative destruction unleashed
by Wal-Mart has had no statistically significant long-run impact on the
overall size and profitability of the small business sector in the
United States.

Brian

Brian J. Osoba, Ph. D.
Economist & Assistant Professor of Public Administration
Institute for Policy & Economic Development
University of Texas at El Paso
El Paso, TX  79968-0703
Phone:  (915)747-7974
Fax:  (915)747-7948