[Vision2020] I thought you might be interested in this article

Dan Carscallen areaman at moscow.com
Fri Sep 1 16:17:27 PDT 2006

Mark said:
"Yes Moscow, No SuperWalmart will review and comment on Peterson's
report when it is available."

>From the Moscow Chamber of Commerce:

"Local Retail Impact Study Now Available

"The Executive Summary and Key Findings from "Moscow at a Tipping Point
- An Economic Analysis of the Local Retail Economy" is now available via
the Chamber homepage, www.moscowchamber.com.  According to the study
author, UI Research Economist Steve Peterson, "Contrary to popular
belief, the evidence strongly suggests that shoppers and consumers
follow the "big box" retailers.  That effect certainly occurred in
Pullman/Whitman County whose per capita retail sales are about half that
of Moscow/Latah County.  Pullman/Whitman County followed the big box
retailers to Moscow, to Lewiston, and Spokane over the last 30 years."
Peterson added, "The exodus of large retailers from Moscow (or the
location elsewhere of potential new retail stores) may result in a
reduction in overall customer number flows which will hurt all retail
and service businesses. The paradox is clear - keeping out large box
retailers may actually harm Main Street business by reducing overall
customer growth for all retail businesses."  Tom McGann, Moscow Chamber
of Commerce president, noted, "I appreciated Peterson's historical
perspective on the retail growth of our community, it should give us
pause to be concerned about Moscow's business future."

"For a hard copy of the study, please call the Moscow Chamber of
Commerce at 208-882-1800 or stop by 411 S. Main."

Keep on, Keep truckin'

DC