[Vision2020] Michael J. Fox interview

Andreas Schou ophite at gmail.com
Tue Oct 31 14:48:19 PST 2006

Pat --

I have recently had a great deal of experience with Parkinsons'
symptoms, largely because my family shares a deficiency in
dopaminergic neurons*. Fortunately, our condition is not progressive.
I've had the opportunity to see both the effects of (a) not taking
your drugs and (b) taking your drugs.

The former results in stiffening, freezing, tremors, and dystonia --
contraction of muscles, curling-under of toes, arms pulling back until
they look like a T-Rex's, and shaking. This is because your body lacks
enough dopamine.

The latter results in jerking, involuntary movements, twitching, and
low-frequency shaking. This is because your body is overdosing on
dopamine. This calms down after a while, as your body moves on to more
normal dopamine levels, but the effects of taking your drugs are just
as nasty, if not more, than not taking your drugs.

The latter was clearly what MJF was experience.

Pat, you're like a funnel for talking points -- picking right-wing
nonsense up from the ether, concentrating it to a single point, and
spewing it back out onto the Internet. You seem to have utterly no
concern for whether what you're saying is incorrect, idiotic, or
morally bankrupt.

-- ACS

* If you're interested, it's called Segawa's Disease, or
DOPA-responsive Dystonia