[Vision2020] [Bulk] Re: Same Sex Marriage Debate pointless.

debismith at moscow.com debismith at moscow.com
Fri Oct 20 21:45:19 PDT 2006

Exactly.

Debi R-S

Date sent:      	Fri, 20 Oct 2006 20:33:45 -0700
From:           	Paul Rumelhart <godshatter at yahoo.com>
To:             	vision2020 at moscow.com
Subject:        	Re: [Vision2020] [Bulk] Re:  Same Sex Marriage Debate pointless.

So call them "Civil Unions", make them cover the secular aspects of
"marriage" (such as death benefits, tax  breaks, etc), and make them
relatively wide open for people to get.  Make it a policy that a
"marriage" performed in the normal way automatically carries with it a
"civil union".  Don't force any religion to have to marry two people
of the same gender if it's against their doctrine to do so.  Limit
civil unions to one per person and make them easy to stop when both
parties agree on it.  The civil union would be a contract that would
carry with it specific terms agreed upon by both parties on what it
covers and how it may be dissolved.  In a way, it's just a more
forceful prenuptual agreement.

Let two people of the same gender get a civil union if they want to.
That way those who don't think it's a valid marriage shouldn't mind -
they aren't married before any god in a spiritual sense, yet they get
the same secular benefits that everyone else does.  Churches that
don't have hangups about it can perform gay marriages, those that do
can still feel huffily superior.

The only way to get through this in my view is to separate the civil
from the spiritual.

Paul