[Vision2020] upcoming midterm election

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Thu Oct 19 11:00:27 PDT 2006

keely wrote:

>  but both exhibit a
> "conservatism" that the GOP of a half-century ago would hardly recognize.
> And that's a pity, because with their election, I fear that Idaho is on
> its
> way to becoming a state that many of us won't recognize as part of the
> 21st
> century or the America our parents loved and fought for.

On it's way?  Isn't it already a state that "many of us won't recognize..."?

Former Idaho Governor Cecil Andrus or former US Senator Frank Church
wouldn't stand a chance of election now with their stands on many issues,
given Idaho's current political climate...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cecil_D._Andrus

In 1990 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1990> Andrus gained national notoriety
when he vetoed a strict
anti-abortion<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion>bill passed by the
Idaho
Legislature <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idaho_Legislature>. Later that
year Andrus decisively defeated conservative Republican state senator Roger
Fairchild <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Fairchild> for reelection to a
fourth term as governor, winning in every county except
Lemhi<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemhi_County%2C_Idaho>.

---------------------------------

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Church

Church is remembered for his voting record as a strong liberal and
environmental legislator, and he played a major role in the creation of the
nation's system of protected wilderness areas in the 1960s. In 1964, Church
was the floor sponsor of the National Wilderness
Act<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilderness_Act>.
In 1968, he sponsored the Wild and Scenic Rivers
Act<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_and_Scenic_Rivers_Act>and gained
passage of a ten year moratorium on federal plans to transfer
water from the Pacific
Northwest<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Northwest>to
California <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California>. Working with
other members
of Congress <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Member_of_Congress> from
northwestern states, Church helped establish the Hells
Canyon<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hells_Canyon>National Recreation
Area along the Oregon-Idaho border, which protected the
gorge from dam building. He was also the primary proponent in the
establishment of the Sawtooth
Wilderness<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sawtooth_Wilderness>& National
Recreation Area<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sawtooth_National_Recreation_Area>in
central Idaho in 1972.

This was all the more remarkable considering that he represented one of the
most conservative states in the nation.