[Vision2020] upcoming midterm election

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Sun Oct 15 15:14:04 PDT 2006

Vision 2020 has been pretty quiet lately, but with midterm elections coming
out, I hope things liven up online.  I thought I'd stir the pot . . .

We have a number of important local elections, but my concerns are three
state-level races:  State Superintendent of Schools (Luna vs. Jones), House
of Representatives (Sali vs. Grant), and Governor (Otter vs. Brady), as well
as HJR 2, the attempt to outlaw not only homosexual marriage but also civil
unions.

On HJR 2, this conservative evangelical is voting a resounding "NO."  Gays
are already not allowed to marry in Idaho; it hardly seems necessary to
codify into the state's constitution a ban on that which is already not
allowed.  But this nasty piece of legislation goes even further to affect
something that is far beyond not permitting two men or two women to marry --
it prevents civil unions and domestic partnerships that permit any adult to
enter into a contracted personal, civil relationship with another.  (This is
obviously a gross simplification, but details on what constitutes civil
unions serve only to illuminate the bad idea that is HJR 2).  I understand
that  conservatives of many different faiths, or of no particular faith, are
uneasy with homosexual marriage, but nothing in state law forces any
institution of faith to perform them or any other marriage they deem in
violation of Scripture.  Unease about gay marriage should not result in  a
prohibition against civil unions, which are the mechanism by which loving,
committed gay couples now secure the civil rights and societal privileges
conferred to heterosexuals in marriage.  No church's faith or public witness
is compromised by state law as it stands, and too many conservative
Christian churches have been sold a bill of goods on this one -- a line of
deception that purports to "take a stand for the traditional family" when
evangelicals have been publicly and privately some of the biggest enemies
thereof in the last century.  A vote for HJR 2 isn't a courageous blow
against the forces of evil.  It's a fear-based, irrational and mean-spirited
blow against basic civil rights.

I can't decide which is scarier:  Sali as my congressman, Otter as my
governor, or Luna as head of Idaho's public education system.  By the barest
of margins I'll go with the schools race, and probably because of my
experience on the school board, I'd have to say that the idea of Tom Luna
replacing Dr. Marilyn Howard would be laughable if it weren't so
frightening.  Luna's support comes from the side of the political spectrum
that believes in a solely market-driven approach to public education and
denies the reality of an institution that, dealing as it does in the
education of human beings, is enormously more complex and crucial to the
functioning of society than the management of, say, a jewelry store -- or an
industrial scales business, which is the business Luna runs.  The crushing
burden of No Child Left Behind, social and economic factors that affect
children, the complexities of education law and procedure, and the
challenges of a largely rural state with very different demographics
throughout is something that requires experience in education,
administration, and a committment to the institution itself.  What I see in
Luna and his supporters is a belief that ideology is sufficient -- that the
free market trumps all, and what deserves to die, dies.  This inability to
acknowledge the reality of today's federal oversight of schools in terms of
standards, funding, assessments and bureaucracy, coupled with an apparent
inability to see children as human being and not units of production, makes
the possibility of Tom Luna's election more frightening even than Butch
Otter's or Bill Sali's.

But barely.  Otter is only slightly less wacky than Sali, but both exhibit a
"conservatism" that the GOP of a half-century ago would hardly recognize.
And that's a pity, because with their election, I fear that Idaho is on its
way to becoming a state that many of us won't recognize as part of the 21st
century or the America our parents loved and fought for.  We've just got to
do better, and I hope we do.

keely